The Foreign Language Research Institute offers support to students who wish to study abroad and has established agreements with universities overseas to facilitate educational exchange. The Institute is entrusted with the responsibility of disbursing prefectural funds to students studying abroad.While the majority of students go overseas for the purpose of foreign language study, it is also possible for students to receive support for internships, field work, and volunteer activities overseas. Students can receive academic credit for their overseas experience, allowing them to progress toward graduation in 4 years. In principle, students studying abroad for a significant length of time are not required to pay GPWU tuition while they are away.

Students may freely choose a foreign institution or program to attend, which need not be a school specifically for English language learners. The University has exchange agreements with the following schools:

Student exchange agreements

Huron University (Canada)
Soochow University (China)
Korea University (Korea)
De La Salle University(Philippines)
Dalian University of Foreign Languages (China)
National Kaohsiung First University of Science and Technology (Taiwan)

University of Malaya (Malaysia)

Model courses (short-term)

Model courses have also been arranged for the 2018-2019 academic year at the following schools:

University of Queensland (Australia)
Soochow University (China)
The University of New South Wales (Australia)
Deakin University (Australia)
The University of Winnipeg(Canada)
Asia Pacific University of Technology & Innovation (Malaysia)

University of California, San Diego (America)

Terms of Study

Both long-term and short-term study abroad opportunities are available to students. Long-term study may last from 6 months to 1 year. Short terms of study are between 2 weeks and 6 months.

Study Abroad Funding

The amount of funding awarded to students is calculated based on students' tuition and travel expenses (e.g. airfare). Students on long-term study may be awarded up to 400,000 yen. Students on short-term study may be awarded up to 200,000 yen.